Sunday, September 23, 2007

Home again

Today was my mom's 75th birthday. I managed to get almost the whole family together in one place plus the former neighbor for dinner tonight. We had a lovely evening, good food, great conversations a lot of laughs. What a different world I grew up in where we didn't lock the doors. My mom and Phyllis, the neighbor, would have coffee out on the sidewalk in their bathrobes. The sidewalk and street was just and extension of our houses. We were safe to run the streets, safe in each other's houses, free to walk to school by our selves, running in and out of each other's houses all the time.

Today it was nice to melt back into that comfort and safety. It was also nice to enjoy the fact that we are alive and near each other to be able to do this type of thing. I am so glad I came back home.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites