Monday, April 16, 2007

Tonight, tonight

So now that I am limping around and not so much hobbling on crutches, I went to the Sharks Stanley Cup game tonight. I was on both crutches and let me tell, what an amazing experience this was to not be fully capable in a large crowd.

I knew this already from other experiences with people in wheel chairs but sheesh, I had such a difficult time with people just walking, crossing, running in front of me. There was a fair amount of what? Selfishness? Self absorbtion? Total lack of attention to a person who was limited in the ability to walk? Stunning, really.

When I went to the bathroom, the women were at least friendly and not in a hurry to get around me. There were a number of men who were very kind and helpful while I was making my way to the jane. But for the most part I felt very invisible.

Quite the lesson learned tonight. Doesn't hurt to be kind to people with different abilities, they are people too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just more proof that putting ourselves in others' shoes really does make us more empathetic. Too bad we can't make W do it.

Hope you lose the crutches soon!

miss wild thing said...

Damn, I will have stitches in my foot for another almost two weeks. So I have to keep taking a shower with a plastic bag, giant condom on to keep the wet away from the stitches.

Add to Technorati Favorites